Friday, August 5, 2016
Monday, May 23, 2016
I was so excited when a friend of mine messaged me saying, "Congratulations, I voted for you!"
Excited, but curious, as I had no idea what she was talking about. LOL. She happily informed me that
Fairy Tale Confessions
was nominated in the UTOPiA Awards
for Best Anthology.
Holy cow!!! I was so amazed and grateful, and am happy I could rearrange my schedule so that I could attend UTOPiA this year!
If you haven't already, please take a moment and click the link below to cast your vote, not only for FTC, but for all your favorites.
(Voting closes on my birthday, May 27! -- How cool is that?)
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
Click the image below to VOTE:
Wednesday, May 11, 2016
I recently ran across an article entitled Indie Author Awards: The Ugly Truth, written by J.N Chaney. I opened the link, honestly thinking it would be derogatory and bashing but was pleasantly surprised. Its focus was about the entry fees and the actual return you get for winning one of the “prestigious awards,” and how instead you could use that money for purposeful marketing.
I’m sure we have all entered a contest hoping to be named its winner, and even paid for that entry. Personally, I’ve never paid more than a $10 entry fee for any of the contests I’ve participated in, which I could count on just one hand. However, I was thrilled when I got to the part in Chaney’s article that read:
“NOT ALL INDIE AUTHOR AWARDS SUCK
There are also tons of free awards with no entry cost, such as the awards being handed out in conventions like Utopia and Penned Con. These don’t cost a thing. There’s no entry fee, no costs to use the award if you win. Awards like these encourage peer review, networking, and connection — all crucial to your success as an author.”
SCORE!!! That’s one award I’ve actually WON––Penned Con: Best Cover 2015, along with a Reader’s Choice Award 2015 from a different venue. However, did it have the intended goal according to Chaney:
“Remember, at the end of the day, we're here to sell books. Awards can be a nice bonus, but their reward must be meaningful and they have to actually help you.”
Winning both of these awards was great, but did they make me more money? Perhaps. Honestly, I’m not sure, as any spike in numbers could have been contributed to sales or ads my publisher had running at the same time. For me, I was just so humbled to have even been nominated, and grateful that my work had received even the slightest amount of recognition, because that’s what it’s all about, right? Getting your stuff out there and recognized.
As for the Best Cover award, I can’t even take credit for that, lol. That was all the work of my fantastic cover designer, Regina Wamba. She was who I thanked when I told the crowd at Penned Con, “Thanks for liking what I loved.” At that same convention, however, I was also nominated for Author of the Year (Fantasy, Dystopian, Mystery) which I graciously lost to the amazing Denise Grover Swank. I was simply blessed for even being in the same category with her, Amy A. Bartol, and JD Nelson to mention a few, which brings us right back to the peer review, networking, and connection that Chaney pin-pointed.
For me, that connection with authors, readers, and bloggers is what it’s all about! Does it make me happy when I look at my award sitting on my shelf, of course, but what makes me even happier is knowing I’ll get to see the smiling faces of my friends and fans at my next event. Maybe I’ll get another nomination, maybe not, regardless, it’s all about putting myself out there, connecting, and making it count!
The Witches of BlackBrook
Winner: Best Cover Penned Con 2015
Winner: 2015 Readers Choice Award
Tuesday, April 19, 2016
RT BOOKLOVERS CONVENTION - LAS VEGAS 2016
Photo credit: Vegas Seven
OMG...where to begin? That's right...I'm in there somewhere! With over 600 authors and over 3000 reader attendees, RT16 is one for the books! (Ha...see what I did there?)
I'd like to thank Kathryn Falk, Ken, Jo Carol, Carol Stacy, Chantelle, Ashley Martinez, and the rest of the amazing RT staff for organizing such a fantastic event! (Trust me, putting up with just my questions alone gets these ladies pretty close to Saint-hood.)
All set up for the RT Giant Book Fair
~ What I Learned at RT ~
1. RT has panels, workshops, and parties for everyone. There's so much going on at the same time, you're bound to find something that you'll be interested in attending.
Author Cross Promotion and Marketing panel
with Brynn Myers, ME, KR Wilburn, Amy Daws, and Mary Ting.
2. While all of my shoes were comfortable, it was the fact that we walked at least 3-5 miles a day, to and from the convention center, that had my dogs barkin'. Seriously...Ouch!
3. Jamie McGuire is so kind and the most adorable person I've encountered in a while.
Me & the super sweet Jamie McGuire
4. PC & Kristin Cast are AWESOME people!!! I'm really sensitive to other's energies and auras and I LOVED how they felt to me! (If you're my kinda of peeps, you'll know what I mean.) Plus, it kinda blew my mind when PC bought my book at the Giant Book Fair. I hope we can still be friends even if they think it sucks! Hehehe.
PC, ME & Kristin Cast ME & PC Cast
5. I finally got to meet my friend, Darynda Jones, and yes, she's as cool as you think.
Me with the infectious Darynda Jones
6. I met Alys Arden over a pizza buffet and it was awesome! LOL. Hopefully next time we'll have more time to chat! ♥
7. I had no choice but to stick my butt in Vilma Gonzalez's face when I was trying to escape the jam packed bar at the Rio! It was awkward, but she was awesome and kind. Again, just wish we would have had more time to chat! ♥
(Did I mention that there's ALWAYS something going on? It's non-stop, go, go, go and it was AWESOME!)
8. Having Larissa Ione read your tarot cards at a Cirque de Punk party was EPIC!!!
ME & the enchanting Larissa Ione at the Cirque de Punk party
9. The Voodoo rooftop nightclub was my favorite! Amy Daws and I rocked out, and Scott Nova and I danced the night away! He was a great dance partner and the perfect gentleman. I had a BLAST!!
ME & Amy Daws gettin' our groove on, high above the City of Lights
10. Anne Jolin is positively delightful and I will miss her until we meet again! Love you, you adorable little sushi roll! ♥
11. Ashley Martinez is little ball of fire. This woman never stops working and that's something I can relate to! Can't wait to see her again! XOXO
12. It wouldn't have been a party without all my Fairy Tale Confession sisters: Brynn Myers, Amy Daws, Mary Ting, and KR Wilburn. Thanks for coming and supporting our cause! ♥ Our little Mixer/Pop-Up party was so fun! (We missed you Sarah J. Pepper!)
Amy Daws, Brynn Myers, Me, Anne Jolin, Ginger Scott & KR Wilburn
at the Fairy Tale Mixer
13. I missed getting a picture with EL James, because I was stuck in panels but am currently debating photo-shopping my head onto my friend's picture instead to make myself feel better. Amy, would you mind? LOL. JK... #theresalwaysnextyear
In conclusion, there's no way I can mention everyone and everything here, so please follow me on Instagram to see all my amazing friends and our pictures!
And oh yeah... Hope to see you in Atlanta! #RT17
Monday, April 4, 2016
RT Booklovers Convention
Oh. My. Gosh!!! In one week I'll be heading to Vegas for #RT16. This will be my first trip to not only RT, but to Vegas itself, and I couldn't be more excited!!! If you'll be in attendance, here are the places you can find me during the convention:
WHAT HAPPENS IN VEGAS - GAME NIGHT
Tuesday April 12th - 4:30pm to 5:45pm
AUTHOR CROSS-PROMOTION AND MARKETING
Wednesday April 13th - 4:00pm to 5:00pm
CLUB RT APPEARANCE
Thursday April 16th - 11:45am to 12:10pm
TWISTED FAIRY TALE MIXER
Thursday April 16th - 7:00pm to 8:00pm
(This is not on the schedule, as it's a casual Mixer located in the RT Bar. Find any of the participating authors before the Mixer to receive your FREE drink card--while supplies last--and join us for a chance to win some amazing gift baskets. Costumes are optional!)
Saturday April 16th - 10:30am to 2:00pm
Titles Available: The Witches of BlackBrook, Raven's Breath,
and Scent of a White Rose
FAN-TASTIC DAY PARTY
Saturday April 16th - 6:45pm to 7:30pm
Sunday April 17th - 11:00am to 2:00pm
Titles Available: The Witches of BlackBrook, Raven's Breath, Fairy Tale Confessions, and the complete Rose Trilogy (Scent of a White Rose, Blood of a Red Rose, Death of a Black Rose) as well as other short-story companions.
In-between my scheduled appearances above, I'll be attending a slew of panels, workshops, and parties throughout the event. Please follow me on Instagram or Twitter at @TishThawer and #ComeFindMe.